Colors used on the trimmings of doctors’ gowns, edging of hoods, and tassels of caps are associated with different disciplines. The use of old gold and royal blue in hoods denotes a Notre Dame degree.
Tassels are worn on the right side and shifted to the left after the degree has been conferred.
- ACE - Master of Arts in Educational Administration - Light Blue
- Architecture - Blue Violet (Lilac-light purple)
- Arts and Letters, Humanities - White
- Business, Commerce, Accountancy - Drab
- Education Administration (Master of Education) - White
- Engineering - Orange
- Fine Arts - Brown
- Global Affairs - Peacock Blue
- Law - Purple (Gold on Tam)
- Ph.D. - Dark Blue (Gold on Tam)
- Science - Golden Yellow
- Theology (Masters), Divinity and Sacred Music - Scarlet